What is PayPal?PayPal (owned by eBay) is an online service that allows people and businesses to exchange currency over the Internet. PayPal is popular and has become the largest online credit card processor in the world because it's cheap to use, it allows people to make online payments without credit cards, and it processes online payments for merchants looking to avoid the overhead of a merchant account. It's really quite simple and the business has grown to an astronomical size. There are two kinds of PayPal accounts. Personal and business. Here's how they both work and what you can do with them.
Personal PayPal accounts are set up for transferring funds from one PayPal account to another. They are not set up to charge credit cards, so this type of account is not suitable for your online credit card processing needs. You will need to sign up for a business account.
Setting up a business account with PayPal will allow you to use their processing system for accepting online payments by credit card, checking account, or direct from a PayPal account. First you register for an account, which will take only about 3 minutes, and for which there is no charge. Then, using their online forms, it is possible to develop code for each of your products which can be used on your website to charge for your products. There are also shopping carts that can be set up to handle the whole process if more than a few items are offered.
When you receive funds PayPal charges you a percentage of that transaction. There is no set-up fee or monthly fees of any kind.
Go here to read an article about all the features and benefits of a PayPal account.
You can go here to view the PayPal Fees.
You can go here to sign up for a Business Account.
How do I know someone ordered
You will get an email from PayPal to inform you an order has taken place. You can then login to PayPal to see the order details. Your customer will also receive an email with purchase details.
How do I get paid?
You can set it up so that your money is sent by check, directly deposited into your bank account, or deposited into your PayPal account.
What about shipping charges?
PayPal allows you to add shipping charges to your item, but the system they offer is not very flexible as far as being able to offer multiple shipping alternatives.
What are the advantages of using PayPal on my Web site?
- PayPal is easy and cheap to use. You do not need a merchant account, credit card terminal, processing software, and the cost to set it up is minimal..
- Fast. It takes only a few minutes to set up a PayPal account. Setting up the code on your website for sales is easy and quick.
- Even if you have a merchant account, PayPal is a good option to offer.
56 million people have PayPal accounts in more than 45 countries.
More here --> About PayPal
What are the disadvantages of using PayPal on my Web site?
- Your customer needs to complete the transaction on the PayPal secure servers. This page can be customized to match your site.
- Entire order data is not in your database without some custom scripting.
- You do not have as much flexibility for things like shipping charges, design, reporting and handling returns, although all these are possible.
Alohas Online for Web Design